“One Eyed” Former FBI Chief Helps Bidens with Romanian Criminal Case.
Hunter Biden has several potentially damaging or criminal relationships with overseas interests. One of the most serious of these is the financial relationship he has with Romanian oligarch Gabriel Popoviciu. The corrupt tycoon was engaged in an attempt to avoid prison after being found guilty of fraud. He elicited the help of none other than master of the Romanian legal world, Hunter Biden.
- Popoviciu was convicted of bribing Romanian officials to get a sweetheart deal on the purchase of the land where he built the Baneasa Shopping Center. He was convicted and sentenced to 7 years in prison.
- In 2016, Popoviciu was put in touch with Hunter Biden’s law firm to fight the case. The relationship continued as Popoviciu filed post-conviction appeals.
- Hunter Biden personally contacted former FBI Director Louis Freeh (who lost ONE EYE in a car accident in 2014) to assist with the legal donnybrook. Allegations of corruption in the Romanian Court system were being thrown around in relation to the case.
- Emails in the infamous laptop detail the relationship between Freeh and Biden.
- Freeh was tasked to assist and claimed he could use his contacts in Interpol to influence the legal proceedings. Freeh also made contacts with current FBI Agents and stated that the DOJ had an interest in proffering Popoviciu to help with ongoing investigations (of course he couldn’t cooperate from a Romanian prison). Freeh even spoke of trying to get a hold of the American Ambassador to Romania to further their interests.
- Whatever money Popoviciu was throwing around to get him out of a conviction must have been substantial. Freeh was very appreciative of Hunter Biden’s referral and made a “donation” to Biden Family Interests.
- Freeh “donated” $100k to the trust fund of two of Beau Biden’s children. The unusual form of payment was apparently not completely on the up and up, as accountants stated that the trust was not a 501(c)3. Freeh withdrew the “donation” and instead donated it to Hallie Biden’s “trust” (possibly the Beau Biden Foundation for the Protection of Children where Freeh served as a board member). The Beau Biden Foundation appears to do very little to help children not related to Joe Biden.
- Freeh knew that there was money to be made with the Bidens, stating “Thank you Hunter and I would be delighted to do future work with you,” Freeh responded. “I also spoke to Dad [Joe Biden] a few weeks ago and would like to explore with him some future work options. I believe that working together on these (and other legal) matters would be of value, fun and rewarding.” We assume “fun” means making a ton of money.
- It appears from Hunter’s emails that there was interest in getting the Chinese firm CEFC involved in the Baneasa property with Popoviciu.
- The full amount of earnings for Hunter on the Popoviciu matter is unknown, but it appears to be at least $190k in addition to the Freeh “donation”.
- Freeh only has one eye and the apparently unidentified FBI mole that gave Hunter secret information on the CEFC related indictments is referred to as “One-Eye”. That seems like a clue to his identity.
- Biden and Freeh seemed to have a close relationship to Gabriel Popoviciu, referring to him as “Gab”.
- Payments and earnings from this relationship are still not fully known.
- Although Freeh claimed that the FBI was interested in talking to Popoviciu prior to his conviction, they seem much less interested in speaking to him about the Hunter Biden tax and money laundering case.
- Joe Biden was very familiar with Romania. The US Ambassador to Romania from 2009-2012 was Mark Gitenstein, a close friend and former staffer of Joe Biden. In 2012, Beau Biden, was asked to do the ribbon-cutting at the new U.S. embassy in Bucharest.
Thanks for reading The Ops Desk!