Victims: Kaylee Goncalves, 21, of Rathdrum, Idaho; Madison Mogen, 21, of Coeur d’Alene, Idaho; Ethan Chapin, 20, of Conway, Wash.; Xana Kernodle, 20, of Avondale, Ariz. (source: NY Times )
Location: 1122 King Road, Moscow, ID
Saturday, Nov. 12, 9:00 – 10:00 pm: Ethan and Xana are at a nearby fraternity party. Ethan belongs to the fraternity.
Saturday, approximately 10:00 p.m. to Sunday, 1:40 a.m: Kaylee and Madison are at The Corner Club at 202 N. Main Street , Moscow (source: Moscow PD).
1:40 a.m: Kaylee and Madison leave the club and are filmed at a local food truck (Moscow PD)
Male seen lingering nearby in the video has been identified by police, is cooperating, and is not considered a suspect at this time (Moscow PD)
1:40 a.m: Kaylee and Madison get a ride home from a “private individual” (as per Moscow PD press conference of 11/20).
As per Kaylee’s sister Alivia, this was “an Uber driver” whom she has since located (source: Inside Edition interview)
1:45 a.m.: Kaylee and Madison arrive home. Ethan and Xana have arrived home by this time or earlier. By this time all four victims are in the house.
2:36 – 2:52 a.m: Kaylee and Madison make 7 calls to “Jack.”
Jack has been identified as Jack DeCouer, Kaylee’s longtime boyfriend, as per NY Times.
DeCouer does not answer, reportedly sleeping through these calls (NY Times)
Kaylee’s family is currently standing by Jack as a non-suspect
3:00 – 4:00 a.m: As per Coroner interview, killings occur. Killings occur on second and third floors (as per PD press conference, 11/20)
All four were killed in their beds, while likely asleep (as per Coroner interview and Moscow PD)
Xana had defensive wounds, as per her father; others may have had defensive wounds, as per PD press conference, 11/20)
Sunday a.m: Surviving housemates “summoned friends to the residence” because they believed that one of the victims had “passed out” (Moscow PD press release, 11/20)
The “summoned friends” were members of a nearby fraternity house (as per Mark Fuhrman, Fox News tv interview, 11/21)
11:58 a.m: Call to 911 of an “unconscious person” is made (Moscow PD press release). One of the housemates’ phones was used to make the call. However, unconfirmed if the call was actually made by one of the housemates.
“Multiple people” spoke to the 911 operator from the residence on the call. (Moscow PD press release; PD press conference, 11/20)
As per PD spokesman, there were “others” at the house besides the roommates (press conference, 11/20)
As per Moscow PD, all in the house when police arrived are not considered suspects at this time
Front door operates off of a key code at front door. There is a sliding rear door. There is also a sliding door off of one of the bedroom’s balconies. No signs of forced entry at any of these. Doors were sometimes left open.
As per Coroner and Medical Examiner: All four victims stabbed to death by a large, military style knife. Police were canvassing for recent knife purchases. No sexual assault (PD press conference, 11/20).
1. Who else arrived at the house Sunday morning?
2. Are the phones encrypted? Has full access been gained to all relevant phones?
3. Social media access gained?
4. Laptop/desktop dumps?
5. Email dump? University email dump?
6. Cell phone tower dumps/geofencing
7. Did the home have wifi? Pull the logs to see if anyone other than the residents had been on the WiFI overnight.
8. All physical evidence processed?
9. Have students living nearby or connected to the victims been observed for cut hands? Or wearing gloves to hide a cut? In most violent stabbings the perp will sustain cuts or at least bruising to the hands. This would be a telltale sign for a suspect.
10. Did Kaylee have a “stalker”? (As per Mark Fuhrman, retrieved here)
11. Kaylee Goncalves is from Rathdrum, Idaho; Madison Mogen is from Coeur d’Alene, Idaho. These locations are listed as approximately 14 miles apart. Are there any possible leads back in this area? Were there any phones that hit a cell tower near their home and near the homicide scene in the same day?
12. Garbage covers done of the home and nearby areas to find a knife or bloody clothes?
13. Canvass for all video in area. The home is in a dead end with only one outlet for vehicles. Any house along the road may have captured a car.
14. Canvass of any/all traffic cameras and/or plate readers active in the area
15. Pulsing of criminal informants for any rumors
16. Development of new informants
17. Review of any similar killings on record?
18. Why kill all people who were up at 01:45 and leave the others? Perp may have been with all 4 and wanted to kill the target and any witnesses.
19. If there is a DNA profile or prints recovered it is important to remember that it needs to be matched to something. If the print or DNA is not on file in a criminal database, it goes nowhere.
20. Is there anything missing from the home? A jacket, a towel, personal item, etc?
PHOTO BY ROBBIE GILES – TRANSFERRED FROM EN.WIKIPEDIA TO COMMONS., CC BY-SA 2.5, HTTPS://COMMONS.WIKIMEDIA.ORG/W/INDEX.PHP?CURID=34099608